Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sugar Dreams

this is one of my favorite cookies and my brother too. Its called a sugar dream and my Mom got the recipe a long time ago from a newspaper in Fresno. They are from a place called Hungry Bear Cookies. Here they are. I can eat a lot of them but my mom only lets me have 2 or 3. She helped me scoop them out and then freeze so anytime I want them I can just pop em in the oven fast.
Here's the recipe:
Sugar Dreams
1 cup minus 2 tbsp canola oil
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
½ lb. plus 1 tbsp unsalted butter (room temp)
3 tbsp sourcream
2 tsp. cream cheese (room temp)
1 tbsp. vanilla bean paste or 2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. coarse salt
1 egg yolk
Mix butter, cream cheese, sugar & vanilla. Mix at medium speed until smooth and all butter specks are dissolved.
Add sour cream. Mix just until blended at medium speed.
Add oil & egg yolk. Mix at lowest speed until oil is slightly mixed, then increase to medium speed until mixture is well mixed but still slightly lumpy, scraping bottom of mixing if needed.
Add flour, salt & soda. Mix until just blended then add 10 seconds more of mixing time at medium speed.
Cover dough & refrigerate until firm or you can scoop out into balls & freeze in individual bags. (I use a 1 ½”scoop to scoop dough out onto a ¼ sheet pan, squeezed together in rows, stick in freezer until it’s firm enough to handle, maybe 10-15 mins. , then I throw them in ziplocks, 12 to a pack……. When I’m ready to bake them, I lay them on cookie sheet & let sit maybe 5 minutes before baking). Keep in mind depending on how frozen/cold your dough is will affect the baking time.
Bake at 325-350 degrees (depending on temp of dough) for 5-6 minutes, turn pan & bake another 5-6minutes. They will be just barely golden around edges. They will look underbaked, but if the edges are turning golden, they are done. If they are overbaked, they won’t taste the same. Cool on pan until firm enough to lift. They conintue to firm up a bit sitting on the hot pan, but if the tribes can’t wait for them to cool, I usually let them sit 5 minutes on the pan, then transfer the silpat/parchment to a cooling rack . They are a very delicate cookie & you can’t handle them until they’re just about completely cool.
Enjoy! The recipe makes about 5 dozen cookies. These are a must-have freezer item!

1 comment:

  1. Can you share the recipe? My email is brianlbaker at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete